How to Play Powerball
Powerball tickets are available to buy from any authorised retailer in the 44 participating states, as well as the jurisdictions of Washington D.C., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.
You can play Powerball by visiting authorised retailers in the US and following these steps:
- 1. Collect a Powerball playslip from an authorised retailer in any one of the 44 participating states or three jurisdictions
- 2. Choose five main numbers between 1 and 69 on the playslip
- 3. Choose one Powerball number between 1 and 26
- 4. Alternatively, you can choose the Quick Pick option to have your numbers picked for you at random
- 5. Repeat the above steps for each line of numbers you want to play. A single line costs $2 for one draw
- 6. Pick how many draws you would like to enter in advance (if available)
- 7. Decide whether you want to add Power Play to your ticket for an extra $1 per line
- 8. Pay the retailer for your ticket, sign it and keep it in a safe and secure place until after the draw
- 9. You must purchase your ticket by the cut-off time in your state. This can vary from 10:00pm EST in New York and Florida to 6:45pm PST in Washington
- 10. Visit the Numbers page after the draw has taken place to find out if you’re a winner
Powerball draws are held on Wednesdays and Saturdays in Tallahassee, Florida, at approximately 22:59 EST.
How to Win Prizes
Two machines provide a total of six lottery numbers on the night of a Powerball draw. The first machine contains white balls and is used for the five main Powerball numbers, and the second machine is used for the additional red Powerball number. The same number can come up as both a main number and a Powerball number because they are drawn from two separate machines.
You can win Powerball prizes if the numbers you picked online or offline match the ones dispensed from the two lottery machines. The jackpot can be won by matching all five main numbers and the Powerball number, and prizes start from matching just the Powerball number. You can find more information about the nine prize tiers available on the Prizes page.
Playing the Power Play Bonus
The Power Play bonus costs an extra $1 per line and can be added by ticking the relevant box when purchasing your playslip in your local shop. It is available to play in all participating states, except California, and the value of the Power Play multiplier is selected in a separate draw before the main Powerball draw takes place.
If you opt to play the Power Play bonus, it can offer an additional multiplier of 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x to any non-jackpot prizes you win, and a 10x multiplier if the jackpot is under $150 million. The jackpot isn’t affected by Power Play, and the Match 5 prize always increases to $2 million regardless of which Power Play multiplier is drawn.
Ticket Cut-Off Times
Ticket sales for Powerball close around one hour before a draw, but cut-off times can vary from state to state. You should clarify the exact times with your state lottery provider.
How to Claim Prizes
Claiming prizes in-store depends on the state you played in and the size of your winnings, and you can only claim your winning tickets in the state they were purchased from. You should contact your state’s lottery office for more details.
In-store prizes worth up to $599 can generally be claimed from authorised retailers, whilst winnings worth $600 and over can be collected from state lottery claim centres. These prizes can also be collected by mail. If you’re a jackpot winner, you must contact your state lottery to receive your winnings.
The claim period is different in certain states and jurisdictions. Find out more details on the How to Claim page.