Lotto America Rules
It is a good idea to familiarise yourself with the rules of Lotto America before you play, so that there are no issues when it comes to buying tickets or claiming prizes. Please note that while the general rules of the game are consistent across all participating states, other rules may differ by state.
Rules for Buying Tickets
- To buy lottery tickets, you must be of legal age in the state in which you are participating. You must be at least 21 years old to play in Iowa, while in all other participating states, you must be 18 years old.
- When you buy a ticket from a retailer, it is your responsibility to check that the ticket is valid for the draw date of your choice. You are then responsible for keeping the ticket safe, as it acts as proof of purchase in the event of any prize claims.
- Different ticket sale cut-off times apply in each of the participating states. You can find the full list of deadlines for buying tickets on the How to Play page.
- Lottery tickets must be paid for in full prior to the draw taking place.
- Lottery tickets are non-refundable.
- You must have a valid winning ticket to claim a prize.
- Lotto America costs $1 per line to play. The All Star Bonus costs an additional $1 per line.
- You must specify which drawing(s) you want to enter in advance. You may enter multiple draws in advance, as determined by individual state lottery rules.
- You must select five main numbers from 1 to 52 plus one Star Ball from 1 to 10. Your playslip will be invalidated if you attempt to select greater or fewer numbers.
- If you wish to play the All Star Bonus, you must elect to do so at the point you purchase your ticket by marking the option on your playslip. You cannot opt-in to play the All Star Bonus retroactively.
- During each draw, two lottery machines will be used. Five numbered balls between 1 and 52 will be randomly drawn from the first machine. These numbers represent the five main winning Lotto America numbers for that draw. One further ball numbered between 1 and 10 will be randomly drawn from the second lottery machine. This represents the winning Star Ball for that draw.
- As the Star Ball is drawn from a separate machine, it may be the same as one of the five main numbers drawn.
- The five main lottery numbers drawn from the first machine can be presented as the ‘winning’ lottery numbers in any order, but they are not interchangeable with the Star Ball number drawn from the second machine.
- Before each main draw, the All Star Bonus multiplier between 2 and 5 will be drawn. At their discretion, state lotteries may change one or more of these All Star multiplier numbers for special promotions.
- The All Star Bonus applies to non-jackpot prizes only.
- To win a prize, you must match your chosen lottery numbers with those drawn in the Lotto America draw. The five main lottery numbers can be matched in any order, but the Star Ball drawn must match the Star Ball stated on your ticket for any prizes to be valid.
- Your chosen numbers are only valid to play in the draw(s) stated on your ticket. If you enter multiple draws in advance, the same ticket will be used for each draw you have entered. Lapsed tickets cannot be used to claim prizes.
To claim a prize, you must present a valid winning ticket. If you lose your ticket, you will be unable to claim any prizes. The procedures for claiming Lotto America prizes can vary by state. See our How to Claim page for more information.