Mega Millions Rules
Mega Millions is an easy game to play, but it is important to understand the rules so you can make sure you enter draws on time, don’t miss out on any prizes, and play safely. See the How to Play page for more information about playing Mega Millions. If you have won a prize, the How to Claim page details the steps you need to take to receive your winnings.
Rules for Buying Mega Millions Tickets
- In most states you have to be at least 18 years old to play Mega Millions, but in Nebraska you must be 19 or older. In Arizona, Iowa and Louisiana the minimum age is 21. To play online, you must be at least 18 years of age.
- Your lottery ticket acts as proof of purchase if you need to claim a prize, so it is your responsibility to keep it safe. You must be able to produce a valid winning ticket to claim a prize.
- The cut-off time for ticket sales depends on the state in which you play. Your state lottery will be able to provide more information.
- Mega Millions tickets are non-refundable and must be paid for in full prior to the draw taking place.
- The cost of a single Mega Millions line is $2. The Megaplier costs an additional $1 per line.
- You must specify which draw you want to enter at the point you purchase your ticket. Draws can be entered in advance but cannot be entered after the deadline for ticket sales has passed.
- You can only opt in to play the Megaplier when you purchase your ticket. You cannot choose to play it at a later date and you must take part in the main Mega Millions draw to play the Megaplier. The Megaplier number will not appear on your ticket as it is drawn before each Mega millions draw and is the same for all players.
- You can also elect to play Just the Jackpot at the point you purchase your ticket. This costs $3 for two lines. When playing Just the Jackpot, you are only eligible to win the jackpot prize by matching all five main numbers and the Mega Ball. You cannot win any other prizes.
- Your Mega Millions ticket is only valid for the draw(s) stated on your ticket. If you enter multiple draws, the same ticket will be used for each draw.
- To play Mega Millions, you must select five main numbers from 1 to 70 plus one Mega Ball from 1 to 25.
- When a Mega Millions draw takes place, five numbered balls between 1 and 70 will be drawn at random, representing the five main winning numbers. Another numbered ball from 1 to 25 will be drawn at random from a separate pool, representing the winning Mega Ball number.
- It is possible for the Mega Ball number to be the same as one of the main numbers, as it is drawn from a separate set of balls.
- The five main numbers are not interchangeable with the Mega Ball number drawn from the second pool.
- A Megaplier number is drawn at random before each Mega Millions draw. This number multiplies any non-jackpot prizes by two, three, four or five times their original value for any players who opted in to the Megaplier.
You must present a valid winning ticket to be able to claim a Mega Millions prize. You will not be able to claim any prizes if you lose your ticket. Visit the How to Claim page for more information about how to receive your money, as the process depends on how much you won and the state in which you bought your ticket.