Mega Millions FAQs
Have you got a query about Mega Millions? Learn the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions here:
- 1. When do drawings take place?
- 2. What time do ticket sales close?
- 3. How do I win a prize?
- 4. Can I still play if Mega Millions tickets aren’t sold in my state?
- 5. How do I claim a prize?
- 6. How long do I have to claim a prize?
- 7. Is there a minimum age limit?
- 8. Do I have to pay tax on lottery winnings?
- 9. What are the odds of winning a prize?
- 10. What is the Megaplier?
- 11. What is the minimum Mega Millions jackpot?
- 12. Is there a jackpot cap or rollover limit?
- 13. When is the next Mega Millions drawing?
- 14. What is Just the Jackpot?
- 15. How much is the next Mega Millions jackpot worth?
- 16. What is the difference between the cash and the annuity if you win the jackpot?
Mega Millions drawings take place every Tuesday and Friday evening at approximately 11pm ET. The draws are held in Atlanta, Georgia.↑ To top
The cut-off time for ticket sales varies from state to state, but is usually an hour before the draw takes place. Please check the time with your state lottery.↑ To top
The claims process depends on how much you have won, but for any prize of up to $599 you should be able to collect your money from an authorized retailer. You will need to visit a regional claims center for prizes above $600, and contact your state lottery if you have won the jackpot. You need to claim your prize in the state where you bought your ticket. Go to the How to Claim page for more information.↑ To top
Yes. Winnings must be declared on your income tax form and any prize above $5,000 will be subject to an initial 25 percent federal withholding, with any other tax due, depending on your income for the year, at tax time. You may also have to pay state taxes, depending on where you live. The Rules page shows the different rates of tax in the participating states.↑ To top
The chances of winning any prize are 1 in 23.9, while the odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 302,575,350.↑ To top
TThe Megaplier is an optional feature which gives you the chance to increase non-jackpot winnings by up to five times their original value. A random multiplier - 2x, 3x, 4x or 5x - is drawn and your prize will be boosted by this amount if you have added the Megaplier to your ticket. It costs an extra $1 per line to play.↑ To top
Just the Jackpot is available in many of the participating states and allows you to enter two lines for a total of just $3. However, if you select Just the Jackpot on your ticket you are only eligible to win the top prize. You cannot win any other award, even if you match a few of the numbers.↑ To top
If you win the jackpot, you can choose to accept the advertised jackpot as an annuity – consisting of 30 annual payments – or a reduced lump sum. The annuity value is larger because it represents how much money you will receive over time if the lottery invests the prize for you, taking into account the interest it is expected to accrue.↑ To top