How to Play Lotto America
Lotto America can be played by visiting authorised retailers in any of the 13 participating states. Follow the simple steps below to enter the draw and be in with the chance of becoming the next millionaire:
- 1. Pick up a Lotto America playslip from an authorised retailer in any of the participating states.
- 2. On the playslip, pick five main numbers between 1 and 52.
- 3. Pick one Star Ball between 1 and 10.
- 4. Alternatively, select the Quick Pick or Easy Pick option to have your numbers randomly selected.
- 5. Repeat these steps for each line of numbers you want to play. Each line costs $1.
- 6. Select how many draws you wish to enter in advance (where available).
- 7. Choose whether to play the All Star Bonus for an additional $1 per line.
- 8. Pay the retailer for your ticket(s) and remember to store them safely until after the draw.
- 9. Visit the Winning Numbers page after the draw to check if you’re a winner.
Drawings take place on Wednesday and Saturday at 11pm ET and are held in the same studio as the Powerball draw, which is made just before. The studio is located at the headquarters of the Florida Lottery in Tallahassee.
How to Win Prizes
On the night of each draw, two machines dispense a total of six lottery numbers. One machine is used for the five red main Lotto America numbers, and the other is used to dispense a single blue Star Ball.
You win prizes by matching the numbers you selected online or at a lottery retailer with those dispensed from the lottery machines. The more numbers that you match, the bigger the prize. The smallest prize is won by just matching the Star Ball, while the jackpot is won by matching all five main numbers and the Star Ball. There are nine different prize tiers in total, details of which can be found on the Prizes page.
Playing the All Star Bonus
The All Star Bonus costs an additional $1 per line. To play it, simply mark the option on your playslip. You don’t need to select any further numbers.
On the night of the draw, an All Star Bonus number between 2 and 5 will be randomly selected. If you opted to play the All Star Bonus, any non-jackpot prizes you win are multiplied by this number. The bonus is the same for all players.
See the Prizes page for more information about the kind of money that can be won when you play the All Star Bonus.
Ticket Cut-Off Times
Ticket sales close at different times on the day of the draw in each of the participating states. The table below shows the different ticket purchase cut-off times for each state:
|State||Ticket Sales Deadline|
|New Mexico||8pm MT|
|North Dakota||8:58pm CT|
|South Dakota||9pm CT|
|West Virginia||9:59pm ET|
How to Claim Prizes
Prizes can only be claimed in the state in which the winning lottery ticket was bought. How you claim your winnings depends on the size of the prize and the state you are playing in. Winning tickets must be checked and validated by the lottery operator in the state where the ticket was bought, or by an agent of the operator, such as an authorized retailer, before prizes can be paid out.
For full details of how to claim Lotto America prizes, see the How to Claim page.